Monday, July 27, 2009

You can pick your friends.....


6 years ago, a great man passed away - my dad. He was funny, but with a very dry sense of humor. He was so smart it was intimidating, and he often used his intelligence in tangent with his sense of humor, making him a wonderfully unique person. He was a great dad, husband, son, brother, uncle and friend and is missed everyday. I often miss his little quips and tidbits of humor.

One of his favorite sayings was this:
You can pick your friends,
You can pick your nose,
But you can't pick your friends nose.

He used to say this all the time when I was a kid, and I would respond "Eeewwww, stop Dad!" Oddly enough, a month or so ago Amelia started using her nose as a place holder for her finger. I can assure you I did not teach her this, nor did Alex or Paul. I can only think it was my dad, in whatever spirit form one takes on after this life, teaching his granddaughter to do all those things I used to be so embarrassed of as a kid, and miss so much now as an adult. He would be so proud of his grand kids, and would be teaching them all sorts of horrible things. I miss you Dad.

3 comments:

The Squires Family said...

This seriously brought tears to my eyes. I lost my dad to cancer a little over a year ago and what I miss most every day are his little sayings (and I seriously started crying when I read your dad's saying--that was a favorite of my dad's as well! What a sense of humor!). I love that you can still see pieces of him in your little one--that picture is precious!

Sarah said...

He was an AMAZING Uncle!

love you corinne :]

~cHaNnOne~ said...

Is that you in the picture with him?! I guess Amelia really DOES look like your side! =) What nice memories.